Saturday, December 17, 2011

Because it is the season (my killer eggnog recipe)

I was never a fan of eggnog until visiting Sandersville over the holidays before I married my husband. We were invited to have eggnog with a neighbor on New Year's Eve and the sweet whipped version that was served made me a quick convert. I have made this with Kahlua instead of bourbon and it works nicely for a coffee/chocolate variety. I tried a chocolate eggnog once but it wasn't worth the effort. My husband has pasteurized the eggs when we were serving it to someone whose immune system was perhaps weakened by illness.


New York Times Cookbook Eggnog        

12 eggs separated
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup bourbon
1 cup cognac
½ teaspoon salt
3 pints heavy cream
Grated nutmeg (optional in my opinion))

In electric mixer beat egg yolks with sugar until thick and lemon colored. Slowly add bourbon and cognac while beating at low speed. Chill several hours (in a hurry? an hour works find but overnight is o.k. too)

Add salt to egg whites and beat until almost stiff or until beaten whites form a peak that bends slightly. Whip the cream until stiff. Fold the yolk mixture into the whipped cream, then fold in the egg whites. Don't mix it in too hard or it will lose some of the fluffiness (directions call to chill mixture one hour, but I don’t).

Serve in small cups along with a spoon. Top with nutmeg if desired.

¼ recipe serves six people who really love eggnog

2 people (or one who REALLY needs some eggnog) 2 eggs, 1/8 cup each of sugar, bourbon, cognac, 1 cup whipping cream, pinch of salt

No comments:

Post a Comment